Some useful controls to know:
- Period - VoxelMap Menu
- Comma - Add Waypoint
- Ctrl+O in inventory screen - Toggle JEI on/off
Tips and Tricks
Just Enough Items (JEI)
- Shows up on the inventory screen
- Search for items using the search box in the bottom right
- Clicking on an item will show you the methods of obtaining that item, whether it be through crafting recipies, use of a machine, or mob drops.
- Hover over an item and press "A" to bookmark it. This avoids having to search for commonly crafted items.
- Click on the "+" icon (Move Items) to automatically populate a crafting table with the needed items, if you have them available. Shift-click is also available to populate the maximum number of items.
- You can use prefixes to search for items via metadata, such as mod name, colour, and ore dictionary. e.g. @Tinkers, ^Blue, $oreIron
- Consider crafting iron chests to store more items using less space. A regular chest surrounded by iron ingots
- Chests made of higher level materials offer increased storage, and a few other benefits.
- Existing chests can be upgraded to higher level materials via upgrade items
- Search JEI for @IronChest to see all available recipies
- Consider crafting a backpack or two to increase your inventory capacity. Certain backpacks will automatically receive certain categories of items, for example a "Mining Backpack" will automatically be filled up with any ores mined. To open a backpack, select it in your hotbar and right click.
- Consider creating a Worktable (from the Forestry mod)
- It has its own inventory, which crafting recipies will draw from. Just put the needed items into the table's inventory and then draw out your recipe as normal (or populate it with JEI)
- Remembers the last 9 recipies. Remembered recipies can be stickied by right clicking, so they will remain.
Getting Started in Mods
- Some mods include graphical tutorials in book form
- Consider crafting the following books "Materials and You", "Materials and You - Armory Addendum", "Forester's Manual"