Launcher v4.265 has just been pushed live, and it's time for Technic Tuesday! Here's the changelogs for this week's Launcher update and all the latest Technic news!
Trending Recalculation is Fixed!
I made a newspost about this earlier in the week, but the Trending Modpacks list is updating once again, and now it's doing it without hurting the platform! Last week, I posted that we had turned off the Trending recalculation because while it ran each night, it was damaging your ability to use the Platform and the API. This was creating about 15-20 minutes of downtime each night and is now fixed. We also fixed the last remaining stability issue with the Launcher API. So how is the new and improved Platform working? Here are the stats we have for the past week, Wednesday January 28 through Tuesday, February 3:
- Platform Uptime: 99.97%
- Launcher API Uptime: 99.54%
- Launcher API Estimated Satisfaction (T=0.2 seconds): 93%
- Launcher API Usage: Over 47 Million Requests
We're really proud of these numbers!! There's still lots of room for improvement, though. If you spend a lot of time on the platform, you'll know that there's occasionally random error pages that pop up and go away just as quickly. We've got a plan for taking care of those this week, we'll see how it goes! In the meantime, we hope you enjoy the new speed and stability on the weekends.
A Platform Facelift (Important Info for Pack Authors!)
In case you haven't noticed, the Platform received a minor facelift this week. A few visual improvements to pages, including awesome artwork in the header of each page, some improvements to the way the pages handle the navbar, long titles and usernames, and better-looking page titles. One important fact: page titles no longer have a drop shadow!
If you're a pack author whose pack has a bright background, you may notice that your pack's title is now harder to read! The good news is that we've added an option to your "Edit Modpack" menu that allows you to make the pack title dark-colored instead, to allow users to read your title against a whiter background. Please check to see whether your pack title needs to be color-inverted in order to be seen. A good-looking pack page attracts more users!
Get Help On Our New Support Page!
Another thing we've been quiet about is a gradual rollout of our new support site: support.technicpack.net! A link to the new support site is now available from your Dashboard page, and a search bar for our help system is available at the bottom right of each page. If you need assistance getting your launcher or the platform to work, feel free to visit and open a ticket. Please don't open a ticket about a modpack- the place to get help for a modpack is still from the pack author. If we're the pack author, you can get help on the forums tracker.
Changelog: Launcher 4.265
- The available RAM settings in the launcher's Java Options is now based on the selected Java version instead of the launcher's Java version.
- A warning will now show in Java Options if the RAM settings have been restricted due to 32-bit java being selected. The warning will point out if a 64-bit version of java is available to be used.
- The launcher now correctly handles non-Roman characters in modpack titles, descriptions, and other data.
- The language selection dropdown box in the Login & Install menus will now use the same custom scrollbar as other UI elements.
- If a file fails to unzip during pack installation, the resulting error message will now contain the file name.
- The launcher now supports Hungarian.
- The launcher's Czech translation has been updated.
- Minecraft will now use the incremental garbage collector by default.
This week, we will be adding improved Maven support for version.json libraries and looking at what improvements we can make to the pack installation process to assist users.