Hello, I've just pushed Launcher version 4.256 live. 4.255 was pushed live this weekend as part of a hotfix to reduce load on Solder. New in this version is Java version selection and some bug fixes to the update process. We also have a little bit of news.
We're currently chasing down an issue that causes the Trending Pack recalculation to hurt the site as it's recalculated. This has been the primary source of outages during the week since January 1. We've temporarily turned off the nightly recalculation for a couple days while we fix this issue, but it should be back up in a day or two!
This weekend, we had some rolling outages. There were a few issues that combined together to give you guys a bad time, but the main one was a Real Deal Serious Time DDoS that caused our host to temporarily null-route the Platform site's IP. We were accidentally leaking some information about our site via our DNS records, and that was giving the attackers ammunition. Once we found the leak and plugged it, things went back to normal pretty quickly. We also had some unrelated trouble with the official pack Solder which has now been fixed. The good news is that we operated for over a day with the DDoS shield up without any real damage to the launcher experience, and we're now very confident in our ability to fend off DDoS attacks, so we don't expect similar problems in the future! We're looking into ways that we can keep the Discover page active during an attack so that in the future, you guys won't even notice the difference.
During the attack, we put together a launcher hotfix to alleviate pressure and that caused us to push Launcher version 4.255 early. Tonight we've pushed version 4.256. We apologize for the double update, but it was important for getting the site running as well as possible.
Changelog: Launcher 4.256
- There is now the capability to select the java version which Minecraft will run with in the Java tab of Launcher Options. By default, Minecraft will run with the same version of java which is running the launcher, but you may configure it to select an individual version of java installed on your system, or to use the highest-versioned 64-bit version of java known to the launcher.
- Modpack installs on the Platform are now being properly incremented again.
- In situations where the local environment prevents the Launcher from setting java properties the way it wants, the Launcher will no longer restart itself endlessly in attempts to fix the java properties.
- The launcher will now be usable after launching minecraft if the launch action "Stay Open" is chosen in Launcher Options.
- The launcher will no longer fail to update when placed in a directory whose path includes + symbols.
- Made some improvements to launcher behavior when overwriting the existing launcher during an update, in order to allow us to better diagnose problems that users encounter.
- Improved some logging when the launcher fails to pull version info from a pack's linked solder.
This week, we'll be working to improve our Java selection by tying the available RAM options to the selected Java version instead of the launcher's Java version. We'll also be improving our Maven support for pack authors who choose to include custom libraries in the version.json file.